Web Design Course
The Foundation Web Design Course will give you strong understanding of the principles of graphic design for the web/screen environment.
You will cover 4 modules during the course and be issued a Certificate of Completion after successfully completing the course.
Over the course of the 4 modules, you will receive software training in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and Experience Design to create your final wireframing and website design project, becoming proficient in all 3 by the end of the course.
Software training is done through training videos accessed through the online Schoolyard.
The course is suitable for aspiring web designers. It is also suitable for graphic designers who want to expand their portfolio to include web design, self-taught designers and designers who want to learn how to plan the architecture, how to wireframe a site, and be able to design and create prototypes of a web design; web developers who want to learn about web design and people with an interest in design.
The course will equip you with all the skills necessary to understand information and interface design, and the ability to plan and design a multi-page website project, for both desktop and mobile. You will learn how to create a wireframe and working prototype of your final web design project using Adobe Experience Design.
Students have 6 months to complete the course. As the course is entirely self paced students can study online and in their own time. Enrolments are taken all year round any day of the year. The approximate time to complete the course is 200 hours. This varies from student to student.
There are many job definitions within the web design discipline. A Web Designer is a person who creates the visual elements of websites. Web designers design the overall look for a website and let a Webmaster/Developer do the actual coding. Most often, they are also proficient with Web graphics and images.
Web Design Course Curriculum
- The Internet And The Web
- The History Of The Internet
- Understanding Web Design
- Graphic Design in the Web Environment
- Design for Mobile
- Colour on the Web
- Type on the Web
- Interaction Design
- Interaction Design in the real world
- Interfaces On The Web
- Elements In Interface Design
- Analysing Websites
- Determining The Canvas Size
- Research User Statistics
- Calculate The Canvas
- Research Designing The Canvas
- Identifying Colour Schemes
- Colour Conversion Studies
- Colour Scheme Development
- Applying Colour Schemes To A Design
- Testing For Accessibility Compliance
- Colour Studies
- Typographic Studies
- Font Case Studies
- Making Sense Of Text With Visual Hierarchy
- Developing Visual Hierarchy In Design
- Typography for Mobile Devices
- Images and Multimedia on the Web
- Layout in Interface Design Studies
- Definitions and Resolution
- Understanding File Formats
- Different Image Techniques
- Grid Studies
- Grid Journal Studies
- Using a Grid For Page Design
- Designing Information and Navigation* Interaction Design Studies
- Understanding information architecture design* Develop a taxonomical structure
- Understanding users* Understanding interaction design elements
- Understanding Information Architecture Design
- Develop A Taxonomical Structure
- Understanding Users
- Understanding Interaction Design Elements
- Scoping a Website
- Understanding Web development
- A deep analysis of working with Photoshop, Illustrator and Experience Design and which tools are best for which web design tasks.
- Working with and Developing Real World Web Design Briefs
- Creating a Web Design for both Desktop and Mobile - using information architecture, conceptualisation, interface design, design refinement, and how to prepare a design for development
- Designing of Banner Ads in the context of a design system, Banner Ad Trends
Studies & Main Assignment–Complete Web Design Project
- Specification Document & Research
- Information Architecture
- Visual Design Concept
- GUI Templates
- Style Guide
- Final Design
- Banner Ad Design as part of the major web design project
- Project Analysis
- Banner Ad Design tying into an external design system
Students will need to be deemed competent in all assessments to pass and be issued their certificate
Industry Relevant Learnings
What you will learn
- Advanced understanding of the principles of graphic design for the web/screen environment.
- Understanding of the principles of user–centered design and it’s application in web design.
- Understanding of the principles of information design.
- Understanding of the principles of interface design.
- Understanding of the role of markup languages for web design and what they do.
- Understanding how to design for device specificity.
- Ability to plan and design a multi–page website project, for both desktop and mobile.
- Working with and developing real world web design briefs.
- Designing of Banner Ads in the context of a design system.
- Understanding the application of each Adobe programme and choosing the best one for a specific task.
- How to create a working prototype of your web design using Adobe Experience Design.
What you will not learn
Why don't we teach back–end development in this course?
Back–end web development is a profession in itself. Web designers and developers communicate with each other and blend their skills to create complete website projects. A back-end and web developer is a software engineer and not a designer.
You will, however, learn how to prepare your artwork for a developer and know what you need to provide. You will also learn, using Experience Design, how to show a working prototype, within a browser, of your final website. This will be really useful for a developer to see your design and how interaction will work.
You can be a complete beginner to web design to undertake this course, as we teach from the ground up. You will be learning to design web layouts in a range of programmes using your Adobe Creative Suite skills in Illustrator, Photoshop & Adobe Experience Design. While Adobe Experience Design will be taught from the ground up, you will need intermediate Illustrator and Photoshop skills for this course.